Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Does better gear help?

It's been awhile since I've had the motivation or really any reason for posting content.   I haven't gotten to fly as much as I like but have been doing a lot of building/fixing.

I've been in this terrible circle of flying and fixing.  Though hti sis normal I've been doing a lot more fixing than I think I should be.  I'm starting to wonder if this is because I buy the cheapest parts.  I really don't trust my equipment and want to be able to.

I have currently have two machines that that use spracingf3s, little bees or xm20s, different motors, and different frames.  For the most part both of them fly beautifully and then out of nowhere they freak out and crash into the ground.  I think I tracked one down to a cold solder joint on an esc.  It must have been rebooting after enough vibration.  It caused the krieger to have a nasty spill and so I put all the gear on the qav210 instead.

The martian (alien clone) has been pretty good to me but the camera mount is awful.  I'm attempting to rig something up similar to the official alien but haven't tested it yet.  I was also having issues with this one and I'm thinking they were desync issues with blheli 14.5.  I upgraded to 14.6 and things got better but aren't perfect.

I'm really curious if people have similar experiences with better gear.  I decided to test it out and have some emax red bottoms, xm20s, and now a kissfc on the martian.  I'm going to direct solder everything and take my time.  I'm considering selling my backup quad and using all kiss equipment and a setup similar to the rotor riot crew.

I'll post as soon as I can with a breakdown on if spending a little extra helps.

What I can say is that the cheaper motors I've purchased (readytosky 2204 2300 and le todar 2204 2300s) aren't very good.  I'm comparing them to cobras and the emax red bottoms.  After many crashes the more expensive emax and cobras are just fine.  I haven't had a bent bell or shaft or anything.  The readytoskys had a bent bell and shaft after one very minor crash.  The le todars are really rough and one of them is twitching.  So even though these cheaper ones are half the price I think the more expensive ones are definitely worth the extra cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment