Thursday, December 10, 2015

DIY thrust stand

Being cheap I opted to make a DIY thrust stand out of some spare wood, a carbon fiber Nighthawk arm, and a hobbyking 30a ubec I had laying around.  Hopefully my wife doesn't mind me using our kitchen scale!  To show power usage I have an Electrify Powermatch power meter.

At a later time I'll be switching the hobbyking 30a ubec out for a littlebee 20a that I have on the way and eventually a Xrotor 20a or 40a.  I'm doing this based on results provided on miniquadtestbench.com (http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/cobra-2300kv-hqprop-5x4-gf.html).  A big thank you to Ryan for creating that testing site and posting his findings.

I would also like to test the difference between the stock hobbyking 30a and the same esc with the latest blheli flashed on it.

Here is my test bed for future motor reviews and thrust tests.

EDIT: 12-11-2015
     I tested the stand yesterday with some readings that didn't seem accurate.  I wasn't thinking about the leverage effect and failed to make sure the distance from the center of my motor to the pivot point is the same as the pivot point to where the arm meets the scale.  I also see that in order to do that I need one single point of contact on the scale and not a giant block.  I'll be fixing these issues tonight and testing it again.

EDIT: 12-30-2015
     New stand!


Version 1: Needs tweaking!




No comments:

Post a Comment