Thursday, November 19, 2015

FPV goggles: Fatshark attitude v2 vs Quanum v2


If you've read how I got into the hobby you've heard of my failed attempt at getting into FPV.  Since that time I've had the opportunity to do it right and here is what I've found.

I couldn't find anyone around my area that flew FPV and therefore couldn't try out goggles.  I attempted the local hobby shop and they had a pair but it wasn't for testing purposes.  I finally dove in without testing.  I started with a HobbyKing Quanum V2 kit and flew with it for a few weeks before getting lucky with an amazing deal on some used Attitude V2s.  I'll outline some pros and cons of both setups and a simple comparison paragraph.


HobbyKing Quanum V2

















Pros
  • Inexpensive
  • Good picture
  • Large screen
  • I can wear glasses
  • Comfortable
  • Easily change the RF receiver
Cons
  • Heavier than fatshark goggles
  • Bulky so it takes up more space in my pack
  • I find the fresnel screen gets dirty easier than fatshark lenses
FatShark Attitude V2















Pros
  • Light weight
  • Clear picture
  • Small and compact
Cons
  • I can't wear glasses
  • Expensive
  • Can't change the RF receiver easily
  • I didn't like the cups and replaced them with a 3d printed attachment and foam
Methods
I stood arms length away from a whiteboard and had the tip of a marker in each hand.  I put on the goggles and roughly spaced my hands equal to what the screen size was.  I touched the marker to the white board and measured the distance.  The distance from my eyes to the board was about 2 feet.  Your mileage may vary but this should give you a good idea.

Results
Quanum V2: 12" wide screen
Attitude V2: 7.5" wide screen

Conslusion
Looking at the screen on the quanums is like being in an imax theater while the fatsharks are more similar to regular theater.

To get a rough idea of how big the screen would be for you just extend your arms, outstretch your hands, and move them either 12" or 7.5" apart.

I put my battery statistics in the very bottom left corner of my OSD and have to glance away from center to read it in either headset.

If I understand it correctly the Attitude V2s have a 35 degree FOV.  If I were to calculate the Quanum V2 I would put it somewhere around 55 degrees.  However that never really helped me understand what it would be like.  I've never tested other fatshark goggles with a lower or higher FOV but the predator v2 and teleporter v3 both have a 25 degree fov.  Does that mean my screen would be roughly 70% (5.3") of the size of the attitudes v2?

1 comment: